At West Cornforth Primary School we recognise the need to support the emotional and social development of our children. We have recently set up a Nurture room with appointed staff which aims to offer specific interventions and support for emotional and social development. This is particularly important for children with ASD.
- Weekly sessions available in school from the school counsellor.
- Three members of staff trained in Therapeutic storywriting and groups regularly take place.
- Staff trained in delivery of the ‘Getting along’ programme to support social development- 2 groups take place weekly.
- School operates a ‘Buddy’ system for learning and social activities. Younger children supported by older children.
- The school has ‘Rainbow flag’ ambassadors to tackle HBT bullying and support children with identity and sexuality.
- Buddy the school dog supports children with emotional needs.
- The Nurture room is used effectively to support children that need additional emotional and social support.
- After school games clubs promote social development.