The present school building was opened in November 1926. Prior to this date the school was situated close to the old quarry, now a site proposed for re-development.
The first school was built by the Rosedale and Ferryhill Iron Co. Ltd. at a cost of £1,800. It had a large school room below and a Mechanics Institute above. The school was opened on Monday 5th December 1870 and had 230 pupils, one master Mr William Pickles and two pupil teachers.
In 1910 the Public Elementary School population had grown. On average 302 boys and girls and 315 infants attended. Due to the large number of pupils attending the Elementary School, the school on ‘The Green’ was also used.
This large number of pupils pre-empted the building of the new school.
West Cornforth School 2006
In 2006 a trim trail and garden was created on the field beside the school. The children have access to this during lessons, lunch times and for after school clubs. In 2011 the school playground was rejuvenated. A substantial grant from the lottery allowed a number of different apparatus such as a climbing frame and a story area to be built.
A New Era
On 27th September 2014 West Cornforth Primary School will be holding an open day to celebrate almost 90 years of it being open. After 88 years of teaching and learning in the old school we will be moving into the new school building in the October half term 2014. The Open Day will also coincide with the 100 year anniversary of World War 1 and we are being supported by Cornforth History and Beamish Museum. Please find more details below.
We have settled in to the new school building and the old school has started to be taken down. Here are a few pictures of the fantastic environment that we now enjoy everyday. So it’s goodbye to the old and hello to the new!
If you require information regarding the history of the school or the village please email Cornforth History at email@example.com
Our New School